Friday, October 15, 2010

October 15: Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day

This day of observance is a national recognized event. Sadly, it is one unknown to many who are personally unaffected by these kinds of losses. There are so many wonderful, worthwhile causes out there that people spread the word about and lend support to, yet this one slips through the cracks all too often. Pregnancy loss, in some shape or form, affects ever 1 in 4 pregnancies. On average, 2000 babies are lost in this was each day in the US. Those are staggering and heartbreaking numbers.

Today is meant to bring awareness to this cause that is near and dear to my heart, as well as to the heart of many of my wonderful friends. Brave, strong, generous women who have gone through this, many of them multiple times. It's not fair, and it's not something any of us will ever understand. But what we can do is spread the word, share or stories, and maybe reach someone who needs support in their loss of losses as well. No one should have to suffer this kind of pain alone. Whether you have been through this yourself of not, open your heart to a friend or family member that could use your love and your shoulder to cry on.

Today is also about remembering the precious angels that were too beautiful for Earth. I have 2 angel babies that I never got to hold, but that touched my heart in the deepest ways. I loved them from the second I found out they existed, and that love does not go away just because they are no longer with me. They are both missed with all of mine and Justin's hearts.

Tonight, at 7 pm, I lit 2 candles in honor of my children as a part of the "Wave of Light" I was joined by my friends across the country, and countless women all over that I've never met. I said a prayer for them, the other mothers, and their angels - and I hope that my little ones and theirs know how much they are loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment