Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Not-So-Unexplained-Infertility

This has been a big week diagnosis wise. Countless tests, blood draws, meds, and playing musical REs for years now - all that has led to nothing as far as an actual infertility cause. The mild lupus, yes, that has an influence on getting and staying pregnant. However, it doesn't explain the wacky cycles, lack of ovulation, short LP, or other symptoms of hormone imbalance.

But PCOS does. I met with new RE yesterday, and he mentioned my PCOS. Um, my what? Oh, that thing that no one noticed before? Yup, that. In defense of my previous Docs, they were pretty focused on the immunology, but still. I have almost every PCOS symptom. I've noted them on every new intake form when I get sent to yet another new RE. And nothing ever even mentioned. Oh well. It's out there now.

As much as getting told there is a 'problem' stinks, I'm beyond relieved. The answers I've gotten this week explain so many things about the trouble I've had the last few years. It also means that I have a much better chance of changing things outcome wise in the future.

Next cycle, I'll start G.onal F and monitoring, and will be triggering (hopefully) in a time that works with DH coming home from a short training trip. If that works, I'll start the lupus treatments. If not, we will adjust the meds, and try again until DH leaves for deployment again. Just keeping my fingers crossed that the outcome will be different this time that it was before last deployment.

In other news, our make-up class for Foster Care licensing was last night. So we are officially done with all out classes, and all that's left is turning in the rest of the papers, and waiting on home study to be scheduled. It has been an amazing process so far, and I can't wait for the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of kids who need us.

It's such a change to feel positive about the future. To feel like somehow, some way, a family is on the horizon in some way or another.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You know the one common risk factor for both lupus and PCOS? A vitamin D deficiency. I would totally urge you to ask your doctor for that test, best of luck with everything!!!

KH said...

I did not know that, thank you so much for the tip! I will make sure to request that when I next see my Doc.

Sweet Carolina Grace said...

That's so great about the foster care! I have heard too many stories of couples who tried for years for children and then adopted. Either during the adoption process or after having adopted, they ended up pregnant! Extra blessings! But, what a great opportunity to be a positive influence on a child. :)

Post a Comment