Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Open Minds and Open Hearts

After months of trying to get into a class set that fit our schedules, we started our actual classes this past Saturday. It was great! Our instructor is wonderful to say the least, and she was so helpful with all of our questions. I feel like both DH and I opened our minds to situations we hadn't thought about taking on before, which I hope will bode well for the twists and turns this road will likely take.

Now, we would certainly love to adopt a waiting child or children. That's no secret. But the state, and DCS, is *not* an adoption agency. This is a vastly different route and journey. We are not just going to get our license, and wait for a call for a little girl we get to take in as our own. Not when there are so, so many kids in the system, and with the state having such a large need for foster care homes. It frustrates me when people assume this will be quick or easy. Or to be told to "let them know when we get our kid(s)." It doesn't work like that.

In TN, a family has to be a foster family for at least 6 months before they are able to start the adoption process. Sometimes that adoption could be a child that is already in your care. Sometimes not. But the bottom line is, if we can make a difference in the life of the kids that come into our home, whether it is for a day, a week, or forever... why would we not jump at the chance? The biggest thing I learned in this class was what a profound effect each home can have on the kids that stay there. Every child deserves an environment where they feel loved, safe and comfortable, and I'm going to do my best to give that to each child that comes to us.

This week will be full of paperwork, continuing to get our house up to home study standards, and preparing for a full day of more classes on Saturday. The more I learn about this process, the more I realize how long and difficult it will be. And at the same time, I get more and more excited about tackling it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment