We finally got a call today from our home study worker! She seems really nice, and she was letting us know that letters were going out today to those we gave as references, and that we would be getting some paperwork to submit as well. Whenever she receives our packets back, she will call and set up the first visit. I'm hoping to have the packets for DH and I done and back to her by the end of the week so that hopefully, by this time next week, we will have a date set for that first session. We weren't given any indication of how far out these meetings are being booked, so to be on the safe side, we are making sure that every.single.thing. about the house and the room is finished by the end of next weekend. Just in case.
I'm not getting ahead of myself, though. While I'm happy things are moving forward, we are *such* a long way from adding to our family. There will be at least 2, if not 3 more sessions - assuming she likes us and the house on her initial visit. Then it's figuring out what kind of placements that we are ready to accept for respite care situations. Then we wait. And we hope, that at some point in the journey and temporary placements, we get a call for a child that's waiting. Until then, there is an empty room full of clothes and toys, and I keep the door to it closed. I am excited about this journey, yes. But I'm also realistic about what it might involve, both time and heartache wise. It's strange to have to have a room all set up when there are so many hoops to jump through before that space you've carved into your home is filled. If it ever is. I've said it before, and I'm sure it won't be the last time - there are no guarantees in this process. All we can do is hope for the best, and be prepared as much as possible for the outcome we are working towards.

1 comment:
Going this route takes such strength. I'm sure teh caseworker will love you guys and you'll pass teh home study with flying colors, but I know that's only the beginning of a long and tough process.
Post a Comment